I have been a psychotherapist for over 35 years and I specialize in treating post-traumatic stress disorder, relationship issues, grief, anxiety, depression, cross-cultural and epigenetic issues, and addictive patterns by addressing the mind-body-spirit connection.
I work with individuals, couples, families, teens and children ages seven and up. I have worked extensively with U.S. military service members returning from Iraq and Afghanistan, focusing on the war experience and its influence on their relationships and families. This includes volunteering with The Soldiers Project for over nine years.
I am fluent in English, Spanish, and German and understand the significant influence one’s culture has on personal experiences and relationships.
Personally, I am guided by over 20 years of meditation, a life-long practice of yoga and dance, including Afro-Latin Jazz and 5 Rhythms Dance. I practice Aikido and Qi Gong and am a passionate bicyclist, photographer, and gardener.
I think of myself as a master carpenter with the skill, knowledge and scars to be your guide. I know which tools are used to listen in. I hand you your own tool belt, the tools, and teach you how to use them. You eventually become your own master in self regulation.
• Somatic Experiencing® Practitioner (SEP) since 2006
• Certified EMDR Practitioner since 2011
• Rapid Resolution Therapy (RRT) Practitioner since 2012
• Trauma/Tension Release Exercise (TRE) Practitioner since 2011
• Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT) Practitioner since 2005
License & Associations
• Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist (LMFT)
License # M13521
• Member of California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists (CAMFT) since 1981
• Member of Los Angeles, California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists (LACAMFT)
• Loyola Marymount University M.A. in Counseling Psychology
• Recipient of the National Honor Society in Psychology Award, Santa Clara University
• Expert guest on several television segments for Fox News/Noticias Mundo and Univision including PTSD, social media and dating, and parenting
• Expert in PTSD in National Geographic documentary Templo de Acero about soldiers coming home from war
• The How of Being Human Blogtalk Radio
• Interview on 'What is Somatic Experiencing?' on KPFK InnerVisions with Nita Valens
• First author, "Psychological Recovery to Stress Stimuli in Relation to the Repression-Sensitization Dimension" published in the Journal of Undergraduate Psychological Research
• Columnist for "Ask Pilar" in national bi-cultural publication Latina Magazine
• Co-Author and translator of "La Psycologia Como Instrumento del Estado" in La Otra Cara de Mexico: El Pueblo Chicano published by El Colegio de la Frontera Norte
This website, including all writing and photography herein, is under copyright by Elizabeth Rona, 2016.
Elizabeth Rona. Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist, #M13521