I am a traumatologist working with suffering and its destructive patterns in the lives of individuals, couples and families. Spanning more than thirty years of clinical practice, the cornerstone of my work is stress and trauma resolution through skillful weaving of leading-edge neuroscience and the great wisdom traditions. A multilingual expert in cross-cultural dynamics, I am known for my specialties in interpersonal relationships, family of origin issues, parenting, and PTSD among military service personnel and their families.
I am fluent in English, Spanish, and German and understand the significant effects one’s culture has on personal experiences and relationships.
Rooted in body-oriented neuroscience and incorporated into talk therapy, my practice focuses on the epigenetic and habitual patterns manifesting as stress, addiction, depression, physical pain, and emotional and mental distress.
Personally, I am guided by over 25 years of meditation, a life-long practice of yoga and dance, including Afro-Latin Jazz and 5 Rhythms Dance. I practice Aikido and Qi Gong and am a passionate bicyclist, photographer, and gardener.
I think of myself as a master carpenter with the skills, knowledge and scars to be your guide. I know which tools are used to listen in. I hand you your own tool belt, the tools, and teach you how to use them. You eventually become your own master in self regulation.
• Somatic Experiencing® Practitioner (SEP) since 2006
• Certified EMDR Practitioner since 2011
• Certified Rapid Resolution Therapy (RRT) Practitioner since 2012
• Trauma/Tension Release Exercise (TRE) Practitioner since 2011
• Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT) Practitioner since 2005
• Member of California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists (CAMFT) since 1981
• Member of Los Angeles, California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists (LACAMFT)
• Member of Somatic Experiencing® Trauma Institute
• Loyola Marymount University M.A. in Counseling Psychology
• Recipient of the National Honor Society in Psychology Award, Santa Clara University
License & Associations
• Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist (LMFT)
License # M13521
• Expert guest on several television segments for Fox News/Noticias Mundo and Univision including PTSD, social media and dating, and parenting
• Expert in PTSD in National Geographic documentary Templo de Acero about soldiers coming home from war
• The How of Being Human Blogtalk Radio
• Interview on 'What is Somatic Experiencing?' on KPFK InnerVisions with Nita Valens
• First author, "Psychological Recovery to Stress Stimuli in Relation to the Repression-Sensitization Dimension" published in the Journal of Undergraduate Psychological Research
• Columnist for "Ask Pilar" in national bi-cultural publication Latina Magazine
• Co-Author and translator of "La Psycologia Como Instrumento del Estado" in La Otra Cara de Mexico: El Pueblo Chicano published by El Colegio de la Frontera Norte